Smoothie or Juice? I love them both. Healthy stuff, right? My favorite is Mango Smoothie. Keeps me full. What’s yours? For the past one week or so, smoothies and juices have been really occupying my thoughts.
We all at one point or another walked into a restaurant and ordered either. Over lunch hour most of the time I order for a fruit juice but end up not satisfied. The juice is usually light. This has always been the reason I preferred Smoothies they are thick and once you have had one mmmmh “you feel at home” most of you can relate.
Until recently when I started my new healthy lifestyle, I never knew that there was something amazing beyond the thickness in a smoothie and lightness in juice.
Besides Smoothies being made using a blender and Juices using a juicer, there are nutritional differences between the two.
1. Smoothies have a lot of fibre compared to Juices. Fiber helps to slow the digestion keeping you feeling fuller. This helps to stabilize blood sugar levels. The absence of fiber in fruit juice doesn’t mean it’s unhealthy. It has its benefits. Lack of fiber allows your body get more concentrated nutrients.
2. Smoothies are absorbed slowly into the blood stream. This helps in preventing sugar spikes unlike juices which can easily create blood sugar spikes especially for the diabetic people.
3. Juices are best to drink when you are not hungry. Smoothies in turn are best when you are hungry, before or after workouts.
4. For better or rapid healing go for a fruit juice. Juices can also be used as a detox unlike Smoothies.
5. For you to get enough nutrients from your Smoothie don’t just swallow it but take your time to eat it. For juices nutrients are quickly absorbed in the body.
In conclusion I believe that Smoothies and Juices both play an essential role in a healthy diet. Don’t fail to have one or both in a day. Enjoy!